Friday 28 March 2014

Your Automotive Identity • Part 3

This is the third and final instalment in the creation of your automotive identity. Let's call this the car the one you'd choose if you were suffering from a mid-life identity crisis. Remember, I'm giving you MY choices, it's up to you to choose your own. I'd be pleased to see your selections.

Now most men will immediately think about a powerful two-seat convertible, red in colour. Maybe a Corvette, Jaguar, Porsche or if they're a rock star or hockey player... a Ferrari. There's nothing wrong with ANY of those choices, I find now that I'm getting on in years, my choice is going to be a bit more subtle. It's going to be a classic. Sure it will still be a two-seater, and the top will go down, and it could be red, although I'd prefer silver. I'm not going to go all the way back to the tin lizzy era, I still want something that's fun and exciting to drive. But I don't need to go fast anymore, a car that looks good and is not too big (I've always favoured smaller cars) will fill the bill.

My choice is a Porsche 356 Speedster. It's got the classic look that I'd need. And for its era, it drove very well and was extremely reliable compared to other sports cars from that time. Picture a warm sunny day, a winding road and me in my Speedster. The steering is precise, the gears shift smoothly and the engine gurgles away. There's no need to hurry, this is something to be savoured.

When I was seven years old, I got to ride in a brand new 356 Speedster. I was immediately hooked... and I still am.

To see one of these cars in motion this youtube video captures it nicely.


Here's a digital painting I did based on a photo taken at the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart Germany. And yes this is in my ebook.

That concludes my three posts on Your Automotive Identity. Tune in tomorrow to see what other car stuff I come up with.


No comments:

Post a Comment