Wednesday 27 January 2016

The New Miata – The Front End Is Not Quite Right

There's lots to like about the new Miata, but I'm not a fan of the front end design proportions. The sideview profile shows the highest point of the front fender is significantly behind the centre point of the front wheel. Maybe it's only me, but that just looks wrong. Since the early thirties cars have had the high point of the fender directly over the centre of the wheel. Take a look at the 1934 Ford below to see what I mean.


Here's the side profile of the new Miata
To help visualize the relationship between the wheel and fender, I've added a thin blue line vertically from the centre of the front wheel – see how the arch of the front fender peaks well behind that line. 

Here's my rework of the new Miata I've raised the headlights and moved the peak of the front fender to be above the centre of the front wheels. I think this looks much better. What say you?

In addition, the original car sits too high over its wheels. The centre of the wheelwell opening and the centre of the wheel should be the same – MY MIATA is lowered to the correct visual ride height.



No comments:

Post a Comment